November 21 is the 62nd monthly meeting for Systems Thinking Ontario. The registration is on Eventbrite.
Wicked Problems, Systems Approach, Pattern Language
At U.C. Berkeley in the 1960s, Horst Rittel (originator of "Wicked Problems"), C. West Churchman (luminary in the Systems Approach) and Christopher Alexander (leading Pattern Language) led graduate programs. Doctoral students flowed across departments to their seminars and workshops.
Come participate in an informal, unrehearsed conversation about commonalities and distinctions across these three bodies of work. In the interest of open communications, the conversation will not be recorded, and the Chatham House rule will apply.
David Ing is a systems change researcher, and one of the cofounders of Systems Thinking Ontario. He is a past-president (2011-2012) of the International Society for the Systems Sciences.
- Lambert Lounge, OCAD U., 6:30pm to 8:15pm
David will refer to the following artifacts:
- "Christopher Alexander, Horst Rittel, C. West Churchman" | October 14, 2017 | Coevolving Innovations at https://coevolving.com/blogs/index.php/archive/christopher-alexander-horst-rittel-c-west-churchman/
- "Multiparadigm Inquiry Generating Service Systems Thinking" | January 19, 2018 | Coevolving Innovations at https://coevolving.com/blogs/index.php/archive/multiparadigm-inquiry-generating-service-systems-thinking/
- "Exploring the Context of Pattern Languages" | March 3, 2018 | Coevolving Innovations at https://coevolving.com/blogs/index.php/archive/exploring-the-context-of-pattern-languages/
- "2018/10/24 Representing Generative Wholeness with Pattern Language: A focus session at PLoP 2018" | October 2018 at http://coevolving.com/commons/20181024-representing-generative-wholeness-with-pattern-language
- "2018/10/27 Narrating Wholeness: Pattern Language Generating Semi-Lattice(s), System(s), and/or Holon(s)" | October 2018 at http://coevolving.com/commons/20181027-narrating-wholeness-pattern-language
Bloggers are encouraged to write about their learning and experiences at the meeting. Links will be added to this page.