August 17 is the thirty-ninth meeting for Systems Thinking Ontario. The registration will be on Eventbrite.
International Society for the Systems Sciences at Systems Thinking Ontario
Attended the conference? Come and tell us about it!
Didn't attend? Come hear about and discuss it!
David Ing, Peter Jones and Allenna Leonard, will start us off with their observations and experiences
of the recent ISSS Conference.
of this year’s conference: Realizing Sustainable Futures in Socio-Ecological Systems.
This was the 60th Annual Meeting of the International Society for the Systems Sciences and highlighted insights, opportunities and solutions under such themes as:
- Frameworks for Systemic Sustainability: “When are Complex Systems Sustainable?”
- Global Science and Ecosystem Assessments: “From Problem to Solution Orientation.”
- Cultural, Ethical, and Economic Wisdom: “Reuniting Nature and Humanity”
- Engineering and Systemic Synthesis: “Creating Sustainable Systems”
- Education, Communication, and Capacity: “Making it Whole”
A detailed schedule is posted at: https://isss2016.sched.org/.
David Ing posted brief outlines of sessions he attended: https://ingbrief.wordpress.com/tag/isss2016/
David Ing is former President of ISSS (2011).
Peter Jones is a founding faculty member of the Masters of Design in Strategic Foresight & Innovation (SFI) program at OCAD University.
Allenna Leonard is a former President of ISSS (2009), former President (2002 – 2004) of the
American Society for Cybernetics (ASC) and winner of the 2014 Warren McCulloch
Award for outstanding and profound lifelong contributions to the nurturing of
Suggested pre-reading: Please browse the conference Schedule at: https://isss2016.sched.org/
(Click on the topics to read abstracts)
||Self-introductions (15 seconds each)
- Who am I?
- Which affiliations do I have that might be relevant to systems thinking?
- How did I come to systems thinking?
||Discussion (with pre-readings as an entry point)
- Recent ISSS Conference - key themes, important developments, promising ideas, events and activity
Presenter: David, Allenna, Peter
||Double loop learning: Revisions in meeting format?
- Walk to Baldwin Street (north on McCaul Street, 0.5 km, (the pattern has been for Hana Korea, which is quiet enough to talk)
- Continue discussion over dinner and/or drinks.
Bloggers are encouraged to write about their learning and experiences at the meeting. Links will be added to this page.